e-file! A fast alternative to filing pap returns.
Why do more than 88 million taxpayers file their returns electronically? It's faster, easier, accurate, and more convenient than paper filing.
IRS efile logo
With efile, taxpayers receive these benefits:
- Faster refunds... in as little as 10 days with Direct Deposit
- Greater accuracy... a 1% or less error rate.
- Secure and confidential submission.
- Quick notification of receipt of return.
- No paper return to file.
- File now and pay later.
More than half a billion federal tax returns have been efiled. e-file helps the environment, uses less paper, and saves taxpayer money – it costs less to process an e-filed return than a paper return.
Totally Safe and Secure
The IRS uses the most secure technology available to safeguard your personal information. Rest assured that when you efile, your information will be safe.
I.R.S. Free File logo
Make Under $56,000? e-file For Free
If your 2008 adjusted gross income was $56,000 or less, you can electronically file for Free by using Free File at www.irs.gov
Use Free File and get these benefits:
- Easy to use, safe, and accurate.
- File your taxes online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. (must access to Free File through www.irs.gov).
- Receive your refund in as little as 10 days with Direct Deposit.
- Available in English and Spanish.
- Save paper – help the environment.
Made more than $56,000? You can still file your return online with efile. check out the IRS e-file for Individuals page on www.irs.gov
for low-cost e-file options.
Use IRS efile if you don't qualify for Free File. There are three ways.
Use a tax professional.
Many taxpayers rely on tax professionals to handle their returns and most tax professionals can efile your return – you just have to be sure to ask. Also, tax professionals can charge a fee for I.R.S. e-file. Fees can vary depending on the professional and specific services rendered, so be sure to discuss this up front.
Use a computer
You can easily electronically prepare and efile your own tax return. To do so, you'll need:
- A computer with Internet access, and
- IRS-approved tax preparation software available via the Internet for online use, for download from the Internet, and in retail stores for offline use. Visit www.irs.gov/efile for details.
Use a volunteer
The VITA program offers free tax help for low to moderate income (under $35,000) taxpayers who cannot prepare their own returns. The Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program provides free tax help to people age 60 and older.
You can accomplish many things electronically within www.irs.gov
. The e- IRS is a gateway to the many IRS electronic options and it's available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Should you choose to file a paper return, you'll find information, resources, and all of the forms ready to download.