This section identifies some of the excise taxes you may have to pay and the forms you have to file if you do any of the following.
- Manufacture or sell certain products.
- Operate certain kinds of businesses.
- Use various kinds of equipment, facilities, or products.
- Receive payment for certain services.
For more information on excise taxes, see Publication 510, Excise Taxes.
The federal excise taxes reported on Form 720, Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return, consist of several broad categories of taxes, including the following.
- Environmental taxes on the sale or use of ozone-depleting chemicals and imported products containing or manufactured with these chemicals.
- Communications and air transportation taxes.
- Fuel taxes.
- Tax on the first retail sale of heavy trucks, trailers, and tractors.
- Manufacturers taxes on the sale or use of a variety of different articles.
There is a federal excise tax on the use of certain trucks, truck tractors, and buses on public highways. The tax applies to vehicles having a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more. Report the tax on Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return. For more information, see the instructions for Form 2290. taxmap/pubs/p334-005.htm#en_us_publink100025073
If you have to file a quarterly excise tax return on Form 720, you may have to deposit your excise taxes before the return is due. For details on depositing excise taxes, see the Instructions for Form 720.