Even if you do not have to file, you should file a tax return if you can get money back. For example, you should file if one of the following applies.
- You had income tax withheld from your pay.
- You made estimated tax payments for the year or had any of your overpayment for last year applied to this year's estimated tax.
- You qualify for the earned income credit. See Publication 596, Earned Income Credit (EIC), for more information.
- You qualify for the additional child tax credit. See the instructions in your tax forms package for more information on this credit.
- You qualify for the health coverage tax credit. For information about this credit, see Form 8885, Health Coverage Tax Credit.
- You qualify for the refundable credit for prior year minimum tax. See Form 8801, Credit for Prior Year Minimum Tax — Individuals, Estates, and Trusts.
- You qualify for the recovery rebate credit. See the instructions in your tax forms package for information about this credit.
- You qualify for the first-time homebuyer credit. See Form 5405, First-Time Homebuyer Credit.