Three Option for e-filing your returns—quickly, safely, and easily.
Last year more than 92 million Americans filed their returns electronically. Why?
With efile, taxpayers receive these benefits:
- Faster refunds—in as little as 10 days with Direct Deposit
- Easier filing since there are no paper returns to mail.
- Quick notification of receipt of return.
- Confidence since the IRS uses the most secure technology available to safeguard your personal information.
- Freedom to file now and pay later.
- Help the environment by saving paper.
- Available 24/7.
IRS e-file logo
In addition to the benefits above, you'll also get:
Greater accuracy since returns are checked for common errors—in fact, e-file averages a 1% or less error rate—for lower than the 20% associated with paper returns.
E-file is available through a network of trusted providers—including popular types of off-the-shelf-tax preparation software (you'll find a listing at www.irs.gov/efile
—as well as professional tax preparers. E-filing your return can be free so be sure to shop around before choosing a preparer or tax software, find out more at www.irs.gov.
Many states also offer e-filing.
I.R.S. Free File logo
If your 2009 adjusted gross income was $5X,000 or less, you can electronically file for taxes at no cost by using Free File.
If you qualify, Free File gives you all the benefits of e-file and it's available in English and Spanish.
Free File Fillable Forms
If you've filed paper returns in the past without the help of a tax preparer, then Free File Fillable Forms may be for you.
With Free File Fillable Forms:
- There are no income requirements so everyone is eligible,
- It is easy to use since it offers the most commonly filed IRS forms,
- It performs basic math calculations,
- It is available only at www.irs.gov, and
- Applies only to a federal tax return.
VITA Program is discussed in a shaded box
The box says the following:
The VITA Program offers free tax help for low to moderate income (under $49,000 in adjusted gross income) taxpayers who cannot prepare their own tax return. The Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program provides free tax help to people age 60 and older.
is the gateway for all electronic services offered by the IRS, as well as the spot to download forms if you should choose to file a paper return.