If you cannot find the answer to your question in these instructions or online, please call us for assistance. See Making the Call below. You will not be charged for the call unless your phone company charges you for toll-free calls. Our normal hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. local time. Assistance provided to callers from Alaska and Hawaii will be based on the hours of operation in the Pacific time zone.
If you want to check the status of your 2009 refund, see Refund Information on page 83.
IRS representatives care about the quality of the service provided to you, our customer. You can help us provide accurate, complete answers to your questions by having the following information available.
- The tax form, schedule, or notice to which your question relates.
- The facts about your particular situation. The answer to the same question often varies from one taxpayer to another because of differences in their age, income, whether they can be claimed as a dependent, etc.
- The name of any IRS publication or other source of information that you used to look for the answer.
To maintain your account security, you may be asked for the following information, which you should also have available.
- Your social security number.
- The amount of refund and filing status shown on your tax return.
Caller ID Number shown at the top of any notice you received.
- Your personal identification number (PIN) if you have one.
- Your date of birth.
- The numbers in your street address.
- Your ZIP code.
If you are asking for an installment agreement to pay your tax, you will be asked for the highest amount you can pay each month and the date on which you can pay it.taxmap/instr/i1040a-029.htm#TXMP3145715f
The IRS uses several methods to evaluate our telephone service. One method is to record telephone calls for quality purposes only. A random sample of recorded calls is selected for review through the quality assurance process. Other methods include listening to live calls in progress and random selection of customers for participation in a customer satisfaction survey.