skip navigation

Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Instructions for Form 1040-EZ

Line 2, Taxable Interest(p11)

If you received interest payments, you should receive a Form 1099-INT or Form 1099-OID from each payer. Report all of your taxable interest income on line 2 even if you did not receive a Form 1099-INT or 1099-OID. If you are filing a joint return, also include any taxable interest received by your spouse.
Include interest received on amounts deposited with banks, savings and loan associations, credit unions, or similar organizations. If interest was credited in 2015 on deposits that you couldn't withdraw because of the bankruptcy or insolvency of the financial institution, you may be able to exclude part or all of that interest from your 2015 income. But you must use Form 1040A or 1040 to do so. See Pub. 550 for details.
For more information on interest received, see Tax Topic 403 at
You should also include taxable interest on bonds and other securities. If you cashed U.S. series EE or I savings bonds in 2015 that were issued after 1989 and you paid certain higher education expenses during the year, you may be able to exclude from income part or all of the interest on those bonds. But you must use Form 8815 and Form 1040A or 1040 to do so.
You must use Form 1040A or 1040 if you received taxable interest of more than $1,500. You also must use Form 1040A or 1040 if any of the following apply.

Tax-Exempt Interest(p12)

If you received tax-exempt interest, such as interest on municipal bonds, each payer should send you a Form 1099-INT. Your tax-exempt interest should be shown inbox 8 of Form 1099-INT. Enter TEI and the amount in the space to the left of line 2. Do not include tax-exempt interest in the total on line 2.