skip navigation

Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Instructions for Form 1040-EZ

Line 14, Amount You Owe(p22)

To save interest and penalties, pay your taxes in full by the due date of your return (not counting extensions)—April 18, 2016, for most people. You do not have to pay if line 14 is under $1.
Include any estimated penalty for not paying enough tax during the year (explained later) in the amount you enter on line 14. You can pay online, by phone, or by check or money order. Do not include any estimated tax payments (for 2015 or 2016) in this payment. Instead, make the estimated tax payment separately.
Bad check or payment.(p22)
The penalty for writing a bad check to the IRS is $25 or 2% of the check, whichever is more. However, if the amount of the check is less than $25, the penalty equals the amount of the check. This penalty also applies to other forms of payment if the IRS doesn't receive the funds. See Tax Topic 206 at

Pay Online(p22)

Paying online is convenient and secure and helps make sure we get your payments on time.
To pay your taxes online or for more information, go to You can pay using either of the following electronic payment methods.Also see the e-file information under Amount You Owe, earlier, for more information about the Electronic Funds Withdrawal payment option offered when e-filing your return.

Pay by Phone(p22)

Paying by phone is another safe and secure method of paying electronically. Use one of the following methods.
Direct transfer.(p22)
To use EFTPS, you must be enrolled. You can enroll online or have an enrollment form mailed to you. To make a payment using EFTPS, call 1-800-555-4477 (English) or 1-800-244-4829 (Spanish). People who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability and who have access to TTY/TDD equipment can call 1-800-733-4829. For more information about EFTPS, go to
Debit or credit card.(p22)
To pay using a debit or credit card, you can call one of the following service providers. There is a convenience fee charged by these providers that varies by provider, card type, and payment amount.

Official Payments Corporation
1-888-UPAY-TAXTM (1-888-872-9829)

Link2Gov Corporation
1-888-PAY-1040TM (1-888-729-1040)

WorldPay US, Inc.
1-844-PAY-TAX-8TM (1-844-729-8298)

For the latest details on how to pay by phone, go to

Pay by Check or Money Order(p22)

Make your check or money order payable to United States Treasury for the full amount due. Do not attach the payment to your return. Do not send cash. Write 2015 Form 1040EZ and your name, address, daytime phone number, and social security number (SSN) on your payment. If you are filing a joint return, enter the SSN shown first on your return.
To help us process your payment, enter the amount on the right side of the check like this: $ XXX.XX. Do not use dashes or lines (for example, do not enter $XXX– or $XXX XX/100).
Then, complete Form 1040-V following the instructions on that form and enclose it in the envelope with your tax return and payment.
You may need to (a) increase the amount of income tax withheld from your pay by filing a new Form W-4, (b) increase the tax withheld from other income by filing Form W-4V, or (c) make estimated tax payments for 2016. See Income tax withholding and estimated tax payments for 2016 in Section 5, later.