skip navigation

Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index


About Tax Map Website
Instructions for Form 5329

Part VI—Additional Tax on Excess Contributions to Archer MSAs(p6)

For Use in Tax Year 2013
If you or your employer contributed more to your Archer MSA for 2013 than is allowable or you had an amount on line 41 of your 2012 Form 5329, you may owe this tax. But you may be able to avoid the tax on any 2013 excess contributions (see the instructions for line 39, later).

Line 34(p6)

For Use in Tax Year 2013
Enter the amount from line 40 of your 2012 Form 5329 only if the amount on line 41 of your 2012 Form 5329 is more than zero.

Line 35(p6)

For Use in Tax Year 2013
If your contribution limit for your Archer MSAs (the smaller of line 3 or line 4 of Form 8853, Archer MSAs and Long-Term Care Insurance Contracts) is greater than the contributions to your Archer MSAs for 2013, enter the difference on line 35. Also include on your 2013 Form 8853, line 5, the smaller of:

Line 39(p6)

For Use in Tax Year 2013
Enter the excess of your contributions to your Archer MSA for 2013 (from Form 8853, line 2) over your contribution limit (the smaller of line 3 or line 4 of Form 8853). Also include on line 39 any excess contributions your employer made. See the Instructions for Form 8853 for details.
However, you can withdraw some or all of the excess contributions for 2013 and they will not be treated as having been contributed if:
Include the withdrawn contributions and related earnings on Form 8853, lines 6a and 6b.
If you timely filed your return without withdrawing the excess contributions, you can still make the withdrawal no later than 6 months after the due date of your tax return, excluding extensions. If you do, file an amended return with Filed pursuant to section 301.9100-2 written at the top. Report any related earnings for 2013 on the amended return and include an explanation of the withdrawal. Make any other necessary changes on the amended return (for example, if you reported the contributions as excess contributions on your original return, include an amended Form 5329 reflecting that the withdrawn contributions are no longer treated as having been contributed).