skip navigation

Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Instructions for Form 5329

Part VII—Additional Tax on Excess Contributions to Health Savings Accounts (HSAs)(p7)

For Use in Tax Year 2014
If you, someone on your behalf, or your employer contributed more to your HSAs for 2014 than is allowable or you had an amount on line 49 of your 2013 Form 5329, you may owe this tax. But you may be able to avoid the tax on any 2014 excess contributions (see the instructions for line 47 below).

Line 42(p7)

For Use in Tax Year 2014
Enter the amount from line 48 of your 2013 Form 5329 only if the amount on line 49 of your 2013 Form 5329 is more than zero.

Line 43(p7)

For Use in Tax Year 2014
If contributions to your HSAs for 2014 (line 2 of Form 8889, Health Savings Accounts (HSAs)) were less than your contribution limit for HSAs, enter the difference on line 43. Your contribution limit for HSAs is the amount on line 12 of Form 8889.
Also include on your 2014 Form 8889, line 13, the smaller of:

Line 47(p7)

For Use in Tax Year 2014
Enter the excess of your contributions (including those made on your behalf) to your HSAs for 2014 from Form 8889, line 2 (unless withdrawn—discussed next), over your contribution limit (Form 8889, line 12). Also include on line 47 any excess contributions your employer made. See the Instructions for Form 8889 for details.
You can withdraw some or all of the excess contributions for 2014 and they will be treated as not having been contributed if:
Include the withdrawn contributions and related earnings on Form 8889, lines 14a and 14b.
If you timely filed your return without withdrawing the excess contributions, you can still make the withdrawal no later than 6 months after the due date of your tax return, excluding extensions. If you do, file an amended return with Filed pursuant to section 301.9100-2 written at the top. Report any related earnings for 2014 on the amended return and include an explanation of the withdrawal. Make any other necessary changes on the amended return (for example, if you reported the contributions as excess contributions on your original return, include an amended Form 5329 reflecting that the withdrawn contributions are no longer treated as having been contributed).