skip navigation

Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index


About Tax Map Website
Publication 80

How To Get Tax Help(p22)

For Use in Calendar Year 2014
Whether it's help with a tax issue or a need for a free publication or form, get the help you need the way you want it: online, use a smart phone, call or walk in to an IRS office or volunteer site near you.

Tax help.(p22)

For Use in Calendar Year 2014
For federal employment tax information, employers in the U.S. Virgin Islands may call 1-800-829-4933. All others may call 267-941-1000 (toll call). If you are in the U.S. Virgin Islands and have access to TDD/TTY equipment, call 1-800-829-4059, with your tax question or to order forms and publications.

Employers in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. (p22)

For Use in Calendar Year 2014
If you are an employer in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, you must use Form W-2CM to furnish wage and tax statements to the SSA and your employees. You can get Form W-2CM and its instructions by going to forms.asp, by calling 670-664-1000, or by writing to:

Division of Revenue and Taxation
P.O. Box 5234
CHRB Saipan, MP 96950


Internet. (p22)

For Use in Calendar Year 2014
rule and IRS2Go are ready when you are —24 hours a day, 7 days a week.


For Use in Calendar Year 2014
You can call the IRS, or you can carry it in your pocket with the IRS2Go app on your smart phone or tablet. Download the free IRS2Go app from the iTunes app store or from Google Play.


For Use in Calendar Year 2014
You can find a selection of forms, publications and services — in-person.


For Use in Calendar Year 2014
You can send your order for forms, instructions, and publications to the address below. You should receive a response within 10 business days after your request is received.

Internal Revenue Service
1201 N. Mitsubishi Motorway
Bloomington, IL 61705-6613

The Taxpayer Advocate Service Is Here to Help You. The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is your voice at the IRS. Our job is to ensure that every taxpayer is treated fairly and that you know and understand your rights.

What can TAS do for you? We can offer you free help with IRS problems that you can't resolve on your own. We know this process can be confusing, but the worst thing you can do is nothing at all! TAS can help if you can't resolve your tax problem and:

If you qualify for our help, you'll be assigned to one advocate who'll be with you at every turn and will do everything possible to resolve your problem. Here's why we can help:

How can you reach us? If you think TAS can help you, call your local advocate, whose number is in your local directory and at Taxpayer Advocate, or call us toll-free at 1-877-777-4778 (U.S. Virgin Islands only).

How else does TAS help taxpayers?

TAS also works to resolve large-scale, systemic problems that affect many taxpayers. If you know of one of these broad issues, please report it to us through our Systemic Advocacy Management System.