skip navigation

Search Help
Navigation Help

Main Topics
S T U V W X Y Z #

Tax Topics

About Tax Map

previous pagePrevious Page: The Collection Process
next pageNext Page:  Failure to Pay Child Support, Federal Non–Tax and State Income Tax Obligations
 Use previous pagenext page to find additional instances of index items.

Rev. date: 07/2006

Tax Payment Options


previous topic occurrence Loan next topic occurrence
previous topic occurrence Monthly Payment Plan/Installment Agreement next topic occurrence

Tele-Tax Topic 202

There are various options for payment of an outstanding federal income tax liability. Since your balance is subject to interest and a monthly late payment penalty, it is in your best interest to pay in full as soon as you can to minimize the additional charges. Penalties are also assessed for failure to file a tax return so you must file even if you cannot pay your balance immediately.
You may pay your tax liability by sending a check or money order, made out to "United States Treasury". You may pay by transferring money electronically from your bank account. Go to the Electronic Payment Options page to find out how to make an electronic payment. You may also pay by credit card by calling 800–272–9829 or 888–729–1040. A convenience fee paid to a service provider, not the IRS, will be charged for electronic payments from your bank account or for a payment by credit card. If you cannot pay in full you may pay any lesser amount you are able to. Please see Tax Topic 158 for information to include to ensure that your payment is credited properly.
You should consider financing the full payment of your tax liability through loans, such as a home equity loan from a financial institution or a credit card cash advance. The interest rate a bank or credit card charges and any applicable fees are usually lower than the combination of interest and penalties imposed by the Internal Revenue Code. If you cannot pay in full immediately, the IRS offers a short additional time to full pay, up to 120 days.

Installment Agreements


An installment agreement would allow you to make a series of monthly payments over time. The IRS offers various options for making monthly payments such as:
A one-time installment agreement fee of $105 will be charged when you enter into an installment agreement unless you choose to pay through a Direct Debit from your bank account, in which case the fee is $52.00. Taxpayers with income at or below 250% of the Department of Health and Human Services poverty guidelines can apply to pay a reduced user fee of $43.
Please note: The user fee for restructuring or reinstating an established installment agreement is $45 regardless of income levels or method of payment.
If you can pay your balance in a shorter period of time, you can request a short additional time to full pay, up to 120 days. This payment arrangement does not carry a fee.
If you decide on entering into an installment agreement, your monthly payment should be based on your ability to pay and should be an amount that can be paid each month to avoid defaulting.
You will need to specify the amount you can pay and the day (1st-28th) you wish to make your payment each month. The IRS will expect to receive the payment ON the day you indicate so be sure to figure time into your date for mail. The IRS will respond to your request, usually within 30 days, to advise you as to whether your request has been approved, denied or more information is needed.
Direct debit or payroll deduction installment agreements provide an opportunity to make timely payments automatically and reduce the possibility of default. For a direct debit installment agreement you will need to provide your checking account number and your bank routing number to initiate the automated withdrawal of the payment.
You may contact the IRS by phone or in person, or you may submit Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request, through the mail. The form has space for you to write your checking account number and your bank routing number. However, if you choose to do so, you may staple a voided check to the form.
To initiate a payroll deduction installment agreement, submit Form 2159, Payroll Deduction Agreement. Form 2159 must be completed by your employer. IRS will set up a regular installment agreement for you and convert it to a payroll deduction agreement upon receipt of the completed form from your employer.
Please visit Payment Plans, Installment Agreements for more information about installment agreements.

Responding to your IRS Notice


It is important not to ignore an IRS notice. If you do not full pay your tax liability or make an alternative payment arrangement, the IRS is entitled to take collection action. You may refer to Tax Topic 201 for information about "The Collection Process."
If you are unable to make any payment at this time, please have financial information available (i.e., pay stubs, lease or rental agreement, mortgage statements, car lease/loan, utilities) and call the appropriate number below to receive assistance:
You have rights and protections throughout the collection process. If you would like some printed information on "your rights as a taxpayer," making arrangements to pay your bill, installment agreements, and what happens when you take no action to pay, refer to Publication 594, The IRS Collection Process, and Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer.
previous pagePrevious Page: The Collection Process
next pageNext Page:  Failure to Pay Child Support, Federal Non–Tax and State Income Tax Obligations
 Use previous pagenext page to find additional instances of index items.