skip navigation

Search Help
Navigation Help

Main Topics
S T U V W X Y Z #

Tax Topics

About Tax Map
IRS Tax Map 2008
Current IRS Tax Map


Retirement Savings Arrangements(p10)


Retirement Savings Arrangements

Retirement savings arrangements are plans that offer you a tax-favored way to save for your retirement. You generally can deduct your contributions to the plan. Your contributions and the earnings on them are not taxed until they are distributed.

Retirement plans for the self-employed.(p10)


To set up one of the following plans you must be self-employed.
The common-law rules determine whether you are an employee or a self-employed person for purposes of setting up a retirement plan. See Employment Status for Other Tax Purposes, earlier, under Social Security Coverage. This is true even if your compensation for qualified services ( discussed earlier) is subject to SE tax.
For example, if a congregation pays you a salary for performing qualified services, and you are subject to the congregation's control, you are a common-law employee. You are not a self-employed person for purposes of setting up a retirement plan. This is true even if your salary is subject to SE tax.
On the other hand, amounts received directly from members of the congregation, such as fees for performing marriages, baptisms, or other personal services that are reported on Schedule C or C-EZ, are earnings from self-employment for all tax purposes.
For more information on establishing a SEP, SIMPLE, or qualified retirement plan, see Publication 560, Retirement Plans for Small Business.

Individual retirement arrangements (IRAs).(p10)


The traditional IRA and the Roth IRA are two individual retirement arrangements you can use to save money for your retirement. Generally, your maximum contribution for 2009 to either of these plans (or to a combination of the two) is the smaller of your taxable compensation, or $5,000 (6,000 if you are age 50 or older).
However, your contributions to a Roth IRA may be further limited if your adjusted gross income is above a certain amount. Roth IRA contributions are not deductible, but if you satisfy certain requirements, all earnings in the Roth IRA are tax free and neither your nondeductible contributions nor any earnings on them are taxable when withdrawn.
If you contribute to a traditional IRA, your deduction may be reduced or eliminated if you or your spouse is covered by an employer retirement plan (including, but not limited to, a SEP, SIMPLE, or qualified retirement plan).
For more information on IRAs, see Publication 590.

Tax-sheltered annuity plans.(p10)


Church employees, members of religious orders, and duly ordained, commissioned, or licensed ministers working as ministers or chaplains can participate in tax-sheltered annuity (403(b)) plans. For more information, see Publication 571, Tax-Sheltered Annuity Plans (403(b) Plans) For Employees of Public Schools and Certain Tax-Exempt Organizations.

Deducting contributions to tax-sheltered annuity plans.(p11)

If you are an employee, your employer may exclude allowable contributions to a 403(b) plan from your income. These contributions will not be included in your total wages on your Form W-2, but you will pay tax on distributions from your plan. However, if you choose to have contributions made to a Roth contribution program, they will not be excluded from your income, but will be distributed tax free.
An exception to the above applies if you are a minister or chaplain and, in the exercise of your ministry, you are either self-employed or employed by an organization that is not exempt from tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. If the exception applies to you, you can deduct your contributions to a 403(b) plan as explained next.

Retirement savings contributions credit.(p11)


You may be able to take a tax credit of up to $1,000 (up to $2,000 if filing jointly) for certain contributions you make to any of the retirement plans or IRAs discussed above. The credit is based on the contributions you make and your credit rate. The credit rate can be as low as 10% or as high as 50%, depending on your adjusted gross income. Figure the credit on Form 8880, Credit for Qualified Retirement Savings Contributions.
You cannot take the credit if any of the following apply.
  1. You were born after January 1, 1992.
  2. You were a full-time student in 2009.
  3. Someone, such as your parent(s), claims an exemption for you on his or her 2009 tax return.
  4. Your adjusted gross income for 2009 is more than:
    1. $55,500, if your filing status is married filing jointly,
    2. $41,625, if your filing status is head of household, or
    3. $27,750, if your filing status is single, married filing separately, or qualifying widow(er) with dependent child.
When figuring adjusted gross income, you must add back any exclusion or deduction claimed for the year for:
  1. Foreign earned income,
  2. Foreign housing costs,
  3. Income of bona fide residents of American Samoa, and
  4. Income of bona fide residents of Puerto Rico.

More information.(p11)

For more information about the credit, see Publication 590.