skip navigation

Search Help
Navigation Help

Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Instructions for Form 1040-EZ

Section 6—Getting Tax Help(p24)

If you live outside the United States, see Pub. 54 to find out how to get tax help.
You can access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Online services and help.(p24)
Go to to obtain information on:
If you do not see the link you need, use the search box.
If you cannot find the answer to your questions in these instructions or online, please call us for assistance. See Calling Us next.

Calling Us(p24)

There is live and recorded tax help available. You will not be charged for the call unless your phone company charges you for toll-free calls. Live tax help is available Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. local time. Assistance provided to callers from Alaska and Hawaii will be based on the hours of operation in the Pacific time zone. Recorded tax help is available anytime.
If you want to check the status of your 2010 refund, see Refund Information on page 25.

Live Tax Help(p24)

Making the call.(p24)
Call 1-800-829-1040 (TTY/TDD 1-800-829-4059). Our menu allows you to speak your responses or use your keypad to select a menu option. Follow the voice prompts.
Information we may need.(p24)
We care about the quality of the service provided to you, our customer. You can help us provide accurate, complete answers to your questions by having the following information available.
To maintain your account security, you may be asked for the following information: (a) your social security number, date of birth, or personal identification number (PIN) if you have one, and (b) the amount of refund shown on your tax return, your filing status, the Caller ID Number shown at the top of any notice you received, the numbers in your street address, or your ZIP code.
If you are asking for an installment agreement to pay your tax, you will be asked for the highest amount you can pay each month and the date on which you can pay it.
Evaluation of services provided.(p24)
We use several methods to evaluate our telephone service. For quality assurance purposes only, we may record telephone calls. A random sample of recorded calls is selected for review. We may also listen to live calls in progress. Finally, we randomly select customers for participation in a customer satisfaction survey.
Before you hang up.(p24)
If you do not fully understand the answer you receive, or you feel our representative may not fully understand your question, our representative needs to know this. He or she will be happy to take additional time to be sure your question is answered fully.
By law, you are responsible for paying your share of federal income tax. If we should make an error in answering your question, you are still responsible for the payment of the correct tax. Should this occur, however, you will not be charged any penalty.

Ordering Tax Products(p24)

Call 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676). Receive your order within 10 working days.

National Taxpayer Advocate Helpline(p24)

Call 1-877-777-4778.

Other Ways To Get Help(p24)

Send us your written tax questions.(p24)
You should get an answer in about 30 days. For the mailing address, call us at 1-800-829-1040 (TTY/TDD 1-800-829-4059). Do not send questions with your return.
Research your tax questions online.(p24)
You can find answers to many of your tax questions online in several ways by accessing and then clicking on Help with Tax Questions. Here are some of the methods you may want to try.
Interactive tax assistance (ITA).(p24)
The ITA provides answers to a limited number of tax law questions using a probe and response process. You can access the ITA at
Free help with your return.(p24)
Free help in preparing your return is available nationwide from IRS-sponsored volunteers. These volunteers are trained and certified to prepare federal income tax returns by passing an IRS test.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA).(p24)
The VITA program is designed to help low-income taxpayers.
Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE).(p25)
The TCE program is designed to assist taxpayers age 60 or older with their tax return preparation.
VITA/TCE sites.(p25)
VITA/TCE tax preparation sites must adhere to strict quality standards necessary to prepare accurate returns. Free electronic filing is offered by IRS-authorized e-file providers at many of the VITA/TCE locations nationwide. Volunteers will help you with claiming the credits and deductions you may be entitled to.
Members of the military.(p25)
If you are a member of the military, you also can get assistance on military tax benefits, such as combat zone tax benefits, at an office within your installation.
Further information.(p25)
For more information on these programs, go to and enter keyword VITA in the search box. Or, call us at 1-800-829-1040. To find the nearest AARP Tax-Aide site, visit AARP's website at or call 1-888-227-7669.
When you go for help, take proof of identity and social security numbers (or individual taxpayer identification numbers) for your spouse, your dependents, and yourself. Also take a copy of your 2009 tax return (if available), all your Forms W-2, 1099, and 1098 for 2010, and any other information about your 2010 income and expenses.
Everyday tax solutions.(p25)
You can get face-to-face help solving tax problems every business day in our Taxpayer Assistance Centers. An employee can explain our letters, request adjustments to your account, or help you set up a payment plan. Call your local Taxpayer Assistance Center for an appointment. To find the number, go to or look in the phone book under United States Government, Internal Revenue Service.
IRS Videos.(p25)
The IRS Video portal contains video and audio presentations on topics of interest to small businesses, individuals, and tax professionals. You will find video clips of tax topics, archived versions of live panel discussions and Webinars, and audio archives of tax practitioner phone forums.
Help for people with disabilities.(p25)
The TTY/TDD number for telephone help is 1-800-829-4059. Braille materials are available at libraries that have special services for people with disabilities.
Tax services in other languages.(p25)
To better serve taxpayers whose native language is not English, we have products and services in various languages.
For Spanish speaking taxpayers, we have:
We also offer a Basic Tax Responsibilities CD/DVD in the following languages. To get a copy of this CD/DVD, call the National Distribution Center at 1-800-829-3676 and ask for Pub. 4580 in your language.
The IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers provide over-the-phone interpreter assistance in more than 170 different languages. To find the number, see Everyday tax solutions above.
Pick up some of the most requested tax products at many IRS offices, post offices, and libraries. Also, some grocery stores, copy centers, city and county government offices, and credit unions have reproducible tax products available to photocopy or print from a DVD.
Order tax products from:

Internal Revenue Service 
1201 N. Mitsubishi Motorway 
Bloomington, IL 61705-6613

Receive your order within 10 working days after your request is received.
Buy IRS Publication 1796 (IRS Tax Products DVD). The DVD is released twice during the year. The first release will ship early January 2011 and the final release will ship early March 2011.
Get the DVD by Internet or phone. Buy it from: