skip navigation

Search Help
Navigation Help

Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Instructions for Form 1040

Other Ways To Get Help(p89)


Send Your Written Tax Questions to the IRS(p89)

You should get an answer in about 30 days. For the mailing address, call us at 1-800-829-1040 (hearing impaired customers with access to TTY/TDD equipment may call 1-800-829-4059). Do not send questions with your return.

Research Your Tax Questions Online(p89)

You can find answers to many of your tax questions online in several ways by accessing and then clicking on Help With Tax Questions. Here are some of the methods you may want to try.
Interactive Tax Assistant (ITA).(p89)
The ITA provides answers to a limited number of tax law questions using a probe and response process. You can access the ITA at

Free Help With Your Return(p89)

Free help in preparing your return is available nationwide from IRS-sponsored volunteers. These volunteers are trained and certified to prepare federal income tax returns by passing an IRS test. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is designed to help low-income taxpayers. The Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program is designed to assist taxpayers age 60 or older with their tax return preparation. VITA/TCE tax preparation sites must adhere to strict quality standards necessary to prepare accurate returns. Free electronic filing is offered by IRS authorized e-file providers at many of the VITA/TCE locations nationwide. Volunteers will help you with claiming the credits and deductions you may be entitled to. If you are a member of the military, you can also get assistance on military tax benefits, such as combat zone tax benefits, at an office within your installation. For more information on these programs, go to and enter keyword VITA in the upper right corner. Or, call us at 1-800-829-1040. To find the nearest AARP Tax-Aide site, visit AARP's website at or call 1-888-227-7669.
When you go for help, take proof of identity and social security numbers (or individual taxpayer identification numbers) for your spouse, your dependents, and yourself. Take a copy of your 2009 tax return (if available), all your Forms W-2, 1099, and 1098 for 2010, and any other information about your 2010 income and expenses.

Everyday Tax Solutions(p89)

You can get face-to-face help solving tax problems every business day in IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers. An employee can explain IRS letters, request adjustments to your account, or help you set up a payment plan. Call your local Taxpayer Assistance Center for an appointment. To find the number, go to or look in the phone book under United States Government, Internal Revenue Service.

IRS Videos(p89)

The IRS Video portal contains video and audio presentations on topics of interest to small businesses, individuals, and tax professionals. You will find video clips of tax topics, archived versions of live panel discussions and Webinars, and audio archives of tax practitioner phone forums.

Help for People With Disabilities(p89)

Telephone help is available using TTY/TDD equipment by calling 1-800-829-4059. Braille materials are available at libraries that have special services for people with disabilities.

Tax Services in Other Languages(p89)

To better serve taxpayers whose native language is not English, we have products and services in various languages.
For Spanish speaking taxpayers, we have:
We also offer a Basic Tax Responsibilities CD/DVD in the following languages. To get a copy of this CD/DVD, call the National Distribution Center at 1-800-829-3676 and ask for Pub. 4580 in your language.
The IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers provide over-the-phone interpreter assistance in more than 170 different languages. To find the number, see Everyday Tax Solutions above.