skip navigation

Search Help
Navigation Help

Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 17

How To Report 
Gains and Losses(p172)

Use Form 4684 to report a gain or a deductible loss from a casualty or theft. If you have more than one casualty or theft, use a separate Form 4684 to determine your gain or loss for each event. Combine the gains and losses on one Form 4684. Follow the form instructions as to which lines to fill out. In addition, you must use the appropriate schedule to report a gain or loss. The schedule you use depends on whether you have a gain or loss.
If you have a:Report it on:
GainSchedule D (Form 1040)
LossSchedule A (Form 1040)
Note.Use Schedule L (Form 1040A or 1040) instead of Schedule A (Form 1040) if you are deducting as part of your standard deduction a net disaster loss from a disaster declared a federal disaster in tax years beginning after 2007 that occurred before 2010. Such a loss is deductible in 2010 if you were not sure whether part of the loss would be reimbursed in the year it occurred and you became reasonably certain in 2010 that that part will not be reimbursed.

Adjustments to basis.(p172)

If you have a casualty or theft loss, you must decrease your basis in the property by any insurance or other reimbursement you receive, and by any deductible loss. Amounts you spend to restore your property after a casualty increase your adjusted basis. See Adjusted Basis in chapter 13 for more information.

Net operating loss (NOL).(p172)

If your casualty or theft loss deduction causes your deductions for the year to be more than your income for the year, you may have an NOL. You can use an NOL to lower your tax in an earlier year, allowing you to get a refund for tax you have already paid. Or, you can use it to lower your tax in a later year. You do not have to be in business to have an NOL from a casualty or theft loss. For more information, see Publication 536, Net Operating Losses (NOLs) for Individuals, Estates, and Trusts.