skip navigation

Search Help
Navigation Help

Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 225

Federal Unemployment 
(FUTA) Tax(p80)

You must pay FUTA tax if you meet either of the following tests. These rules do not apply to exempt services of your spouse, your parents, or your children under age 21. See Family Employees, earlier.

Alien farmworkers.(p80)

Wages paid to aliens admitted on a temporary basis to the United States to perform farmwork (also known as "H-2(A) visa workers") are exempt from FUTA tax. However, include your employment of these workers and the wages you paid them to determine whether you meet either test above.

Commodity wages.(p80)

Payments in kind for farm labor are not cash wages. Do not count them to figure whether you are subject to FUTA tax or to figure how much tax you owe.

Tax rate and credit.(p80)

The gross FUTA tax is 6.2% of the first $7,000 cash wages you pay to each employee. However, you are given a credit of up to 5.4% for the state unemployment tax you pay. The net tax rate, therefore, can be as low as 0.8% (6.2% − 5.4%). If your state tax rate (experience rate) is less than 5.4%, you may still be allowed the full 5.4% credit.
If you do not pay the state tax, you cannot take the credit. If you are exempt from state unemployment tax for any reason, the full 6.2% rate applies. See the Instructions for Form 940 for additional information.

More information.(p80)

For more information on FUTA tax, see Publication 51 (Circular A).

Reporting and Paying 
FUTA Tax(p80)

The FUTA tax is imposed on you as the employer. It must not be collected or deducted from the wages of your employees.

Form 940.(p80)

Report FUTA tax on Form 940. The 2010 Form 940 is due January 31, 2011 (or February 10, 2011, if you timely deposited the full amount of your 2010 FUTA tax).


If at the end of any calendar quarter you owe, but have not yet deposited, more than $500 in FUTA tax for the year, you must make a deposit by the end of the following month. If the undeposited tax is $500 or less at the end of a quarter, you do not have to deposit it. You can add it to the tax for the next quarter. If the total undeposited tax is more than $500 at the end of the next quarter, a deposit will be required. If the total undeposited tax at the end of the 4th quarter is $500 or less, you can either make a deposit or pay it with your return by the January 31, 2011, due date.
Electronic deposit requirement.(p80)
The IRS has issued proposed regulations under section 6302 which provide that beginning January 1, 2011, you must deposit all depository taxes (such as employment tax, excise tax, and corporate income tax) electronically using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS). Under these proposed regulations, which are expected to be finalized by December 31, 2010, Forms 8109 and 8109-B, Federal Tax Deposit Coupon, cannot be used after December 31, 2010. For more information about EFTPS or to enroll in EFTPS, visit the EFTPS website at or call 1-800-555-4477. You can also get Pub. 966, The Secure Way to Pay Your Federal Taxes.