skip navigation

Search Help
Navigation Help

Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 525

How To Get Tax Help(p37)

You can get help with unresolved tax issues, order free publications and forms, ask tax questions, and get information from the IRS in several ways. By selecting the method that is best for you, you will have quick and easy access to tax help.

Contacting your Taxpayer Advocate.(p37)

The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is an independent organization within the IRS. We help taxpayers who are experiencing economic harm, such as not being able to provide necessities like housing, transportation, or food; taxpayers who are seeking help in resolving tax problems with the IRS; and those who believe that an IRS system or procedure is not working as it should. Here are seven things every taxpayer should know about TAS:
Low Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITCs).(p37)
The Low Income Taxpayer Clinic program serves individuals who have a problem with the IRS and whose income is below a certain level. LITCs are independent from the IRS. Most LITCs can provide representation before the IRS or in court on audits, tax collection disputes, and other issues for free or a small fee. If an individual's native language is not English, some clinics can provide multilingual information about taxpayer rights and responsibilities. For more information, see Publication 4134, Low Income Taxpayer Clinic List. This publication is available at, by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676), or at your local IRS office.

Free tax services.(p37)

Publication 910, IRS Guide to Free Tax Services, is your guide to IRS services and resources. Learn about free tax information from the IRS, including publications, services, and education and assistance programs. The publication also has an index of over 100 TeleTax topics (recorded tax information) you can listen to on the telephone. The majority of the information and services listed in this publication are available to you free of charge. If there is a fee associated with a resource or service, it is listed in the publication.
Accessible versions of IRS published products are available on request in a variety of alternative formats for people with disabilities.

Free help with your return.(p37)

Free help in preparing your return is available nationwide from IRS-trained volunteers. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is designed to help low-income taxpayers and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program is designed to assist taxpayers age 60 and older with their tax returns. Many VITA sites offer free electronic filing and all volunteers will let you know about credits and deductions you may be entitled to claim. To find the nearest VITA or TCE site, call 1-800-829-1040.
As part of the TCE program, AARP offers the Tax-Aide counseling program. To find the nearest AARP Tax-Aide site, call 1-888-227-7669 or visit AARP's website at
For more information on these programs, go to and enter keyword "VITA" in the upper right-hand corner.
Internet. You can access the IRS website at 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to:
  • E-file your return. Find out about commercial tax preparation and e-file services available free to eligible taxpayers.
  • Check the status of your 2010 refund. Go to and click on Where's My Refund. Wait at least 72 hours after the IRS acknowledges receipt of your e-filed return, or 3 to 4 weeks after mailing a paper return. If you filed Form 8379 with your return, wait 14 weeks (11 weeks if you filed electronically). Have your 2010 tax return available so you can provide your social security number, your filing status, and the exact whole dollar amount of your refund.
  • Download forms, including talking tax forms, instructions, and publications.
  • Order IRS products online.
  • Research your tax questions online.
  • Search publications online by topic or keyword.
  • Use the online Internal Revenue Code, regulations, or other official guidance.
  • View Internal Revenue Bulletins (IRBs) published in the last few years.
  • Figure your withholding allowances using the withholding calculator online at
  • Determine if Form 6251 must be filed by using our Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) Assistant.
  • Sign up to receive local and national tax news by email.
  • Get information on starting and operating a small business.
Phone. Many services are available by phone.  
  • Ordering forms, instructions, and publications. Call 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676) to order current-year forms, instructions, and publications, and prior-year forms and instructions. You should receive your order within 10 days.
  • Asking tax questions. Call the IRS with your tax questions at 1-800-829-1040.
  • Solving problems. You can get face-to-face help solving tax problems every business day in IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers. An employee can explain IRS letters, request adjustments to your account, or help you set up a payment plan. Call your local Taxpayer Assistance Center for an appointment. To find the number, go to or look in the phone book under United States Government, Internal Revenue Service.
  • TTY/TDD equipment. If you have access to TTY/TDD equipment, call 1-800-829-4059 to ask tax questions or to order forms and publications.
  • TeleTax topics. Call 1-800-829-4477 to listen to pre-recorded messages covering various tax topics.
  • Refund information. To check the status of your 2010 refund, call 1-800-829-1954 or 1-800-829-4477 (automated refund information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week). Wait at least 72 hours after the IRS acknowledges receipt of your e-filed return, or 3 to 4 weeks after mailing a paper return. If you filed Form 8379 with your return, wait 14 weeks (11 weeks if you filed electronically). Have your 2010 tax return available so you can provide your social security number, your filing status, and the exact whole dollar amount of your refund. If you check the status of your refund and are not given the date it will be issued, please wait until the next week before checking back.
  • Other refund information. To check the status of a prior-year refund or amended return refund, call 1-800-829-1040.
Evaluating the quality of our telephone services. To ensure IRS representatives give accurate, courteous, and professional answers, we use several methods to evaluate the quality of our telephone services. One method is for a second IRS representative to listen in on or record random telephone calls. Another is to ask some callers to complete a short survey at the end of the call.
Walk In
Walk-in. Many products and services are available on a walk-in basis. 
  • Products. You can walk in to many post offices, libraries, and IRS offices to pick up certain forms, instructions, and publications. Some IRS offices, libraries, grocery stores, copy centers, city and county government offices, credit unions, and office supply stores have a collection of products available to print from a CD or photocopy from reproducible proofs. Also, some IRS offices and libraries have the Internal Revenue Code, regulations, Internal Revenue Bulletins, and Cumulative Bulletins available for research purposes.
  • Services. You can walk in to your local Taxpayer Assistance Center every business day for personal, face-to-face tax help. An employee can explain IRS letters, request adjustments to your tax account, or help you set up a payment plan. If you need to resolve a tax problem, have questions about how the tax law applies to your individual tax return, or you are more comfortable talking with someone in person, visit your local Taxpayer Assistance Center where you can spread out your records and talk with an IRS representative face-to-face. No appointment is necessary—just walk in. If you prefer, you can call your local Center and leave a message requesting an appointment to resolve a tax account issue. A representative will call you back within 2 business days to schedule an in-person appointment at your convenience. If you have an ongoing, complex tax account problem or a special need, such as a disability, an appointment can be requested. All other issues will be handled without an appointment. To find the number of your local office, go to or look in the phone book under United States Government, Internal Revenue Service.
Due date
Mail. You can send your order for forms, instructions, and publications to the address below. You should receive a response within 10 days after your request is received.

Internal Revenue Service 
1201 N. Mitsubishi Motorway 
Bloomington, IL 61705-6613

DVD for tax products. You can order Publication 1796, IRS Tax Products DVD, and obtain:
  • Current-year forms, instructions, and publications.
  • Prior-year forms, instructions, and publications.
  • Tax Map: an electronic research tool and finding aid.
  • Tax law frequently asked questions.
  • Tax Topics from the IRS telephone response system.
  • Internal Revenue Code—Title 26 of the U.S. Code.
  • Fill-in, print, and save features for most tax forms.
  • Internal Revenue Bulletins.
  • Toll-free and email technical support.
  • Two releases during the year. 
    – The first release will ship the beginning of January 2011. 
    – The final release will ship the beginning of March 2011.
Purchase the DVD from National Technical Information Service (NTIS) at for $30 (no handling fee) or call 1-877-233-6767 toll free to buy the DVD for $30 (plus a $6 handling fee).

Tax Publications for individual Taxpayers See How To Get Tax Help for a variety of ways to get publications, including by computer, phone, and mail.

General Guides
1Your Rights as a Taxpayer
17Your Federal Income Tax For Individuals
334Tax Guide for Small Business (For Individuals Who Use Schedule C or C-EZ)
509Tax Calendars for 2011
910IRS Guide to Free Tax Services
Specialized Publications
3Armed Forces’ Tax Guide
54Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad
225Farmer’s Tax Guide
463Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses
501Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information
502Medical and Dental Expenses (Including the Health Coverage Tax Credit)
503Child and Dependent Care Expenses
504Divorced or Separated Individuals
505Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax
514Foreign Tax Credit for Individuals
516U.S. Government Civilian Employees Stationed Abroad
517Social Security and Other Information for Members of the Clergy and Religious Workers
519U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens
521Moving Expenses
523Selling Your Home
524Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled
525Taxable and Nontaxable Income
526Charitable Contributions
527Residential Rental Property (Including Rental of Vacation Homes)
529Miscellaneous Deductions
530Tax Information for Homeowners
531Reporting Tip Income
535Business Expenses
536Net Operating Losses (NOLs) for Individuals, Estates, and Trusts
537Installment Sales
544Sales and Other Dispositions of Assets
547Casualties, Disasters, and Thefts
550Investment Income and Expenses (Including Capital Gains and Losses)
551Basis of Assets
552Recordkeeping for Individuals
554Tax Guide for Seniors
555Community Property
556Examination of Returns, Appeal Rights, and Claims for Refund
559Survivors, Executors, and Administrators
561Determining the Value of Donated Property
570Tax Guide for Individuals With Income From U.S. Possessions
571Tax-Sheltered Annuity Plans (403(b) Plans) For Employees of Public Schools and Certain Tax-Exempt Organizations
575Pension and Annuity Income
584Casualty, Disaster, and Theft Loss Workbook (Personal-Use Property)
587Business Use of Your Home (Including Use by Daycare Providers)
590Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)
593Tax Highlights for U.S. Citizens and Residents Going Abroad
594The IRS Collection Process
596Earned Income Credit (EIC)
721Tax Guide to U.S. Civil Service Retirement Benefits
901U.S. Tax Treaties
907Tax Highlights for Persons with Disabilities
908Bankruptcy Tax Guide
915Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits
919How Do I Adjust My Tax Withholding?
925Passive Activity and At-Risk Rules
926Household Employer’s Tax Guide For Wages Paid in 2011
929Tax Rules for Children and Dependents
936Home Mortgage Interest Deduction
946How To Depreciate Property
947Practice Before the IRS and Power of Attorney
950Introduction to Estate and Gift Taxes
967The IRS Will Figure Your Tax
969Health Savings Accounts and Other Tax-Favored Health Plans
970Tax Benefits for Education
971Innocent Spouse Relief
972Child Tax Credit
1542Per Diem Rates (For Travel Within the Continental United States)
1544Reporting Cash Payments of Over $10,000 (Received in a Trade or Business)
1546Taxpayer Advocate Service – Your Voice at the IRS
Spanish Language Publications
1SPDerechos del Contribuyente
17SPEl Impuesto Federal sobre los Ingresos Para Personas Fisicas
547SPHechos Fortuitos Desastres y Robos
584SPRegistro de Pérdidas por Hechos Fortuitos (Imprevistos), Desastres y Robos (Propiedad de Uso Personal)
594SPEl Proceso de Cobro del IRS
596SPCrédito por Ingreso del Trabajo
850EN/SPEnglish-Spanish Glossary of Words and Phrases Used in Publications Issued by the Internal Revenue Service
1544SPInforme de Pagos en Efectivo en Exceso de $10,000 (Recibidos en una Ocupación o Negocio)


Commonly Used Tax Forms See How To Get Tax Help for a variety of ways to get forms, including by computer, phone, and mail.

Form Number and Title
 1040U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
Sch A Itemized Deductions
 Sch B Interest and Ordinary Dividends
 Sch C Profit or Loss From Business
 Sch C-EZ Net Profit From Business
 Sch D Capital Gains and Losses
 Sch D-1 Continuation Sheet for Schedule D
 Sch E Supplemental Income and Loss
 Sch EIC Earned Income Credit
 Sch F Profit or Loss From Farming
 Sch H Household Employment Taxes
 Sch J Income Averaging for Farmers and
 Sch L Standard Deduction for Certain
 Sch M Making Work Pay
 Sch R Credit for the Elderly or
  the Disabled
 Sch SE Self-Employment Tax
1040A U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
1040EZ Income Tax Return for Single and Joint Filers With No Dependents
1040-ES Estimated Tax for Individuals
1040X Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
2106 Employee Business Expenses
2106-EZ Unreimbursed Employee Business Expenses
2210 Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals, Estates, and Trusts
2441 Child and Dependent Care Expenses
2848 Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative
2848SP Poder Legal y Declaración del Representante
3903 Moving Expenses
4562 Depreciation and Amortization
4868 Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
4868SP Solicitud de Prórroga Automática para Presentar la Declaración del Impuesto sobre el Ingreso Personal de los Estados Unidos
4952 Investment Interest Expense Deduction
5329 Additional Taxes on Qualified Plans (Including IRAs) and Other Tax-Favored Accounts
6251 Alternative Minimum Tax—Individuals
8283 Noncash Charitable Contributions
8582 Passive Activity Loss Limitations
8606 Nondeductible IRAs
8812 Additional Child Tax Credit
8822 Change of Address
8829 Expenses for Business Use of Your Home
8863 Education Credits (American Opportunity, and Lifetime Learning Credits)
9465 Installment Agreement Request
9465SP Solicitud para un Plan de Pagos a Plazos