skip navigation

Search Help
Navigation Help

Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 225

Federal Unemployment
(FUTA) Tax(p80)

You must pay FUTA tax if you meet either of the following tests. These rules do not apply to exempt services of your spouse, your parents, or your children under age 21. See Family Employees, earlier.

Alien farmworkers.(p80)

Wages paid to aliens admitted on a temporary basis to the United States to perform farmwork (also known as "H-2(A) visa workers") are exempt from FUTA tax. However, include your employment of these workers and the wages you paid them to determine whether you meet either test above.

Commodity wages.(p80)

Payments in kind for farm labor are not cash wages. Do not count them to figure whether you are subject to FUTA tax or to figure how much tax you owe.

Tax rate and credit.(p80)

The gross FUTA tax rate is 6.2% for wages paid before July 1, 2011, and 6.0% for wages paid after June 30, 2011. The tax applies to the first $7,000 you pay to each employee as wages during the year. However, you are given a credit of up to 5.4% of the first $7,000 cash wages you pay to each employee for the state unemployment tax you pay. If your state tax rate (experience rate) is less than 5.4%, you may still be allowed the full 5.4% credit.
If you do not pay the state tax, you cannot take the credit. If you are exempt from state unemployment tax for any reason, the full 6.2% rate for wages paid before July 1, 2011, and 6.0% rate for wages paid after June 30, 2011, applies. See the Instructions for Form 940 for additional information.

More information.(p80)

For more information on FUTA tax, see Publication 51 (Circular A).

Reporting and Paying
FUTA Tax(p80)

The FUTA tax is imposed on you as the employer. It must not be collected or deducted from the wages of your employees.

Form 940.(p80)

Report FUTA tax on Form 940. The 2011 Form 940 is due January 31, 2012 (or February 10, 2012, if you timely deposited the full amount of your 2011 FUTA tax).


If at the end of any calendar quarter you owe, but have not yet deposited, more than $500 in FUTA tax for the year, you must make a deposit by the end of the following month. If the undeposited tax is $500 or less at the end of a quarter, you do not have to deposit it. You can add it to the tax for the next quarter. If the total undeposited tax is more than $500 at the end of the next quarter, a deposit will be required. If the total undeposited tax at the end of the 4th quarter is $500 or less, you can either make a deposit or pay it with your return by the January 31, 2012, due date.
Electronic deposit requirement.(p80)
You must use electronic funds transfer to make all federal tax deposits (such as deposits of employment tax, excise tax, and corporate income tax). Generally, electronic funds transfers are made using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS). If you do not want to use EFTPS, you can arrange for your tax professional, financial institution, payroll service, or other trusted third party to make deposits on your behalf. Also, you may arrange for your financial institution to initiate a same-day wire payment on your behalf. EFTPS is a free service provided by the Department of Treasury. Services provided by your tax professional, financial institution, payroll service, or other third party may have a fee.
For more information on making federal tax deposits, see section 7 of Publication 51 (Circular A). To get more information about EFTPS or to enroll in EFTPS, visit or call 1-800-555-4477. Additional information about EFTPS is also available in Publication 966, The Secure Way to Pay Your Federal Taxes.