skip navigation

Search Help
Navigation Help

Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 593

How To Get Tax Help(p11)

You can get help with unresolved tax issues, order free publications and forms, ask tax questions, and get information from the IRS in several ways. By selecting the method that is best for you, you will have quick and easy access to tax help. See chapter 7 of Publication 54 for more details on tax help that is available.

Contacting your Taxpayer Advocate.(p11)

The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is an independent organization within the IRS. We help taxpayers who are experiencing economic harm, such as not being able to provide necessities like housing, transportation, or food; taxpayers who are seeking help in resolving tax problems with the IRS; and those who believe that an IRS system or procedure is not working as it should.
If you are in the United States, you can call a local taxpayer advocate, whose number is in your phone book, in Publication 1546, Taxpayer Advocate Service—Your Voice at the IRS, and on our website at, or call our toll-free line at 1-877-777-4778 or TTY/TDD 1-800-829-4059. We have at least one local taxpayer advocate in every state, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.
If you are outside the United States, you can call the Taxpayer Advocate at 1-787-622-8940 in English or 1-787-622-8930 in Spanish. You can contact the Taxpayer Advocate at:

Internal Revenue Service
Taxpayer Advocate
P.O. Box 193479
San Juan, PR 00919-3479


Free tax services.(p11)

Publication 910, IRS Guide to Free Tax Services, is your guide to IRS services and resources. Learn about free tax information from the IRS, including publications, services, and education and assistance programs. The publication also has an index of over 100 TeleTax topics (recorded tax information) you can listen to on the telephone. The majority of the information and services listed in this publication are available to you free of charge. If there is a fee associated with a resource or service, it is listed in the publication.
Accessible versions of IRS published products are available on request in a variety of alternative formats for people with disabilities.
Internet. You can access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to:
  • E-file your return.
  • Check the status of your 2010 refund. Go to and click on Where's My Refund.
  • Download forms, including talking tax forms, instructions, and publications.
  • Order IRS products online.
  • Research your tax questions online.
  • Search publications online by topic or keyword.
Phone. Many services are available by phone.
  • Ordering forms, instructions, and publications. Call 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676) to order current-year forms, instructions, and publications, and prior-year forms and instructions.
  • Asking tax questions. Call the IRS with your tax questions at 1-800-829-1040.
  • TTY/TDD equipment. If you have access to TTY/TDD equipment, call 1-800-829-4059 to ask tax questions or to order forms and publications.
  • TeleTax topics. Call 1-800-829-4477 to listen to pre-recorded messages covering various tax topics.
If you are outside the United States, taxpayer assistance is available at the following U.S Embassies or consulate.
Beijing, China(86)(10)8531-3870
Frankfurt, Germany(49)(69)7535-3834
London, England(44)(20)7894-0476
Paris, France(33)(1)4312-2555
Please contact the office for times when assistance will be available. If you cannot get to one of these offices, taxpayer assistance is available at 1-267-941-1000 (not a toll free call).
If you are in a U.S. territory (American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands) and have a tax question, you can call 1-800-829-1040.
Walk In
Walk-in. Many products and services are available on a walk-in basis.
If you are outside the United States during the filing period (January to mid-June), you can get the necessary federal tax forms and publications from most U.S. Embassies and consulates.
Also, during filing season, the IRS conducts an overseas taxpayer assistance program. To find out if IRS personnel will be in your area, contact the consular office at the nearest U.S. Embassy.
Due date
Mail. You can send your order for forms, instructions, and publications to the address below. You should receive a response within 10 days after your request is received.

Internal Revenue Service
1201 N. Mitsubishi Motorway
Bloomington, IL 61705-6613

If you are outside the United States, you can get tax assistance by writing to the address below.

Internal Revenue Service
International Section
Philadelphia, PA 19255-0725

DVD for tax products. You can order Publication 1796, IRS Tax Products DVD, and obtain:
  • Current-year forms, instructions, and publications.
  • Prior-year forms, instructions, and publications.
  • Tax Map: an electronic research tool and finding aid.
  • Tax law frequently asked questions.
  • Tax Topics from the IRS telephone response system.
  • Internal Revenue Code—Title 26 of the U.S. Code.
  • Fill-in, print, and save features for most tax forms.
  • Internal Revenue Bulletins.
  • Toll-free and email technical support.
  • Two releases during the year.
    – The first release will ship the beginning of January 2011.
    – The final release will ship the beginning of March 2011.
Purchase the DVD from National Technical Information Service (NTIS) at for $30 (no handling fee) or call 1-877-233-6767 toll free to buy the DVD for $30 (plus a $6 handling fee).